Here are the best information and knowledge about 2020 ponytail hairstyles for black hair public topics compiled and compiled by our team
Ponytail hairstyles for black women may look trivial, but if you take care of a few aspects, you can completely transform this hairstyle and give it a very neat look.
Are you tired of your hair trapped in a trivial ponytail that doesn’t suit you at all? You don’t have to find solutions that will make your life harder, just grab your tail in a different way to change its appearance by giving it more volume. This way, your hairstyle will no longer be banal and you will be able to use it every time you don’t like the way your hair looks in the morning.
From simple and casual ponytail hairstyles to sophisticated elegant updos, discover 101 ways to wear a ponytail that go perfectly for black hair.
Unlike our post about short hairstyles for black hair, this fresh list does not deviate from darker chromatics. We even dedicated a whole section of this article to exotic ponytail hairdos. These are not necessarily for curly or kinky black hair but can be adapted to fit. Enjoy scrolling through our selection and pick out your favorite look!
I. Sleek Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Hair
1. Shiny Sleek Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Sleek Long Sides
If you love glam and extra-shiny hairstyles, this long straight ponytail with a thick structure and two side locks framing your face, is a perfect decision!
2. Sleek Low Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Golden Headband
Rich, brunette locks and precious golden hair accessories are a match made in heaven. The pairing looks great on tight and loose ponytails alike.
3. Sleek Hairstyle With Long Ponytail and Thin Middle Part
Red lipstick and ultra-long dark straight hair create a striking effect thanks to Laura’s Harrier’s incredible smile! The good news is you can recreate this classy hairstyle yourself. All you need is a finely-toothed comb and a hair serum to create a symmetrical and sleek middle part.
4. Sleek Shiny Side Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Hair With Deep Side Part
Start by straightening your hair and make sure to use protective hair serum. Add a shiny serum to bring light to your dark hair. After creating a deep side part close to the crown edge, sleek down the top for a perfect finish.
5. Sleek Side Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Hair With Latex Cover
Pull the hair to the center of the head as tightly as possible. Start wrapping your ponytail in a sleek latex cover to increase the shiny effect.
6. Sleek Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Braided Section
This hairstyle can be replicated with both natural hair and extensions. Although wrapping the silver wire tightly onto the middle section might require some effort, the result is spectacular.
7. Sleek Straight Low Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
If you have hair long enough to reach the middle of your back, you can try out this simple hairstyle. Use a comb and a bit of anti-frizz serum to sculpt a straight, low ponytail at the base of the nape. Add rhinestone earrings to complete your elegant look.
8. Sleek Ponytail With Side Line for Black Hair
This tightly wrapped hairstyle is close enough to a warrior ponytail. Although it is easy to create, it will require some time. You will have to spend some time to make your hairs stay sleeked around razor straight side part.
9. Sleek Ponytail With Puffy End Hairstyle for Black Hair
This extravagant look takes advantage of the natural texture of black hair. It shows how to successfully emphasize the amazing volume of dark coily hair.
10. Sleek Wavy Ponytail With Side Part
If you want to achieve a glamorous effect, start curling your hair from halfway downwards and style the top with a deep side part. Add plenty of shine serum for extra glow.
11. Chunky Thick Braid Ponytail With Sleek Top
Alicia Keys’ hairstyles are always fabulous! To recreate this look, 4 strands braid your high ponytail. Accessorize the look with big statement earrings. If you like this hairstyle, check out our list of natural hairstyles for black women.
12. Extra Long Ponytail With a Sleek Finish
Another impressive look by the talented singer is this tall, extra-long braided ponytail. It creates a statuesque appearance for any girl that wears the hairstyle.
II. Bubble Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Hair
13. Goddess Bubble Ponytail With Golden Hair Wrapper
The Jasmine or the Goddess ponytail is a very popular Disney look that you can easily adapt to sophisticated occasions. The photo below is a glamorous example. All you need to go from casual to classy are 4 golden hair rings.
14. Sleek Bubble Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
To get this look, start by securing the base of the ponytail with an elastic band. Take a loose hair strand to cover the elastic band. To create the bubbles, use transparent elastic bands to make the ponytail seem natural.
15. Bubble Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
When you have a rich, long, flowy mane, it is super easy to create a fabulous bubble ponytail. The hairstyle can bring some relief to your scalp and hair roots.
16. Bubble Ponytail Hairstyle for Long Black Hair
A cool trick you can apply to personalize your own bubble ponytail is to slightly twist the hair. Use elastic bands made out of plastic to hold the hair in place without styling products.
17. Bubble Ponytail With Black Ribbons and Sleek Top
Bubbles are never too small or too thin; they always bring fun and volume to your ponytail. Adding delicate velvety ribbons will make the look even more exquisite.
18. Long Bubble Ponytail Hairstyle With Side Sections
This amazing look will need a very careful execution to make sure that the side sections and the small bubbles are evenly displayed. To achieve a perfect look, ask your hairstylist to make the finishing touches.
19. Bubble Braids Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
This impressive hairdo has two thin bubble ponytails that frame the face, completed by a super voluminous back ponytail.
20. Minimalistic Bubble Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
This sleek, elegant ponytail has three different transparent elastic bands that make the transition between bubbles seamless. Use a bit of styling spray to tame all the fly-away strands. If you want to explore more amazing hairstyles for special occasions, check out our 100+ Heavenly Wedding Hairstyles for Medium Hair.
21. S-Shaped Braided Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
To achieve this stylish hairstyle, start your braids as close to the scalp as possible. To further elevate the look, opt for horizontal cornrows for each side of your head. Add extensions on the central line to create a cool feminine Fauxhawk. For more inspiration, visit our 50+ Braided Hairstyles for Long Hair.
22. Low Side Ponytail With Golden Floral Accessories
The easiest way to turn a casual hairstyle into an elegant updo for long hair is to use golden floral accessories. These will not only hold the hairstyle together but will also add a stylish accent to your look.
23. Protective Braids Ponytail for Black Hair
If you prefer a protective hairstyle for your long black locks, these super-thin box braids will look stunning both loose and in a high ponytail.
24. Lavish Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
If you have thick, voluminous hair and you want to flaunt those beautiful waves, opt for this simple high ponytail. Let the curls work their magic!
25. Low Ponytail With a Wavy S-Shape
This wavy, teased ponytail with side-falling strands can be a great, quick hairdo suited for a youngish outfit or even a classy, feminine dress.
26. Retro Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair With Blonde Bangs
A side-swept, light-colored fringe is the easiest way of adding a retro accent to your long dark locks. You can use a toothbrush and some hair spray to make the flyaways stay close to the scalp.
III. Trendy Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Hair
27. Classic Half-Up, Half-Down With a Starry Hair Band
Shiny rhinestones are a classy accessory for an elegant, tightly wrapped half-up half-down hairstyle. To make the waves look extra fluffy, use a paddle brush.
28. Lizzo High Wavy Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
If you crave Lizzo’s amazing voluminous wavy hairstyle, gather your hair in a high ponytail and let the curls fall freely around your face.
29. Long and Straight Diamond-Encrusted Ponytail
To recreate this precious Alicia Key’s ponytail hairstyle, start by parting the hair in two equal sides. Comb them carefully to allow inserting small pearl pins or diamond-encrusted hairpins.
30. Slick Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Wavy Styling
To recreate this look, gather all the hair on one side and secure it with an elastic band. Feather the curls to get a voluminous ponytail.
31. High Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Curly Sideburns
Arranging your sideburns in a smooth S-shaped curve along the jawline has a slimming effect on your face. It also beautifully complements the long, shiny, straight ponytail at the back.
32. Teased Side Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
A smart way of creating extra volume for your ponytail is to tease the strands. After you brought all the locks together in one high plait, apply some styling spray.
33. Clip-In Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
Another quick way of obtaining a strong, thick ponytail is to use a clip-in hair extension. Secure it with a scrunchie to match your outfit. Use a toothbrush to create the small waves around the hairline.
34. Natural Pony Puff Hairstyle for Black Hair
It always seems impossible until it’s done! This super-tamed medium-long kinky hair with a side part makes a cool contrast with the ponytail that keeps the puffy texture. The ponytail is shaped with the help of a dark-colored ribbon.
35. Wavy Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women with Sleek Top and Baby Hairs
To achieve this simple but stylish ponytail, add some shine serum to a toothbrush and apply it to the crown. This is a great trick to settle down your fly-away strands. Leave the waves flowing on one side of your shoulder.
36. Dark Burgundy Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Side Strands
A great way to obtain the impression of longer hair is to wear a super slicked ponytail. Keep the front strands free. Use a high-resistance hair spray to shape the pointy tips in a vertical direction.
37. Half-Up, Half-Down Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Wavy Strands
A great and quick way to contour your hairline is to use a toothbrush with a bit of styling gel. Arrange the baby hairs carefully. Bring the rest of the mane in a flowy ponytail secured with a scrunchie or elastic that has the color of your hair.
38. Crimped Medium Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
Bring the hair in a tight ponytail at the back. Use a crimping tool to create little waves. Take a hair strand and cover the elastic band to create an elegant look that will match a classy red dress.
39. Side Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
This minimalistic look can be recreated with any hair length and texture. It will bring out your beautiful features.
40. Voluminous Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Golden Hair Clips
A quick and glamourous way of styling a kinky mane is to add big bar clips in a bright shade of gold.
41. Half-Up, Half-Down Side Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
This sleek ’90s inspired look is super easy to recreate. You will need an oversized pair of sunglasses to nail the vibe.
42. Jumbo Braids Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
This is a fantastic protective hairstyle for black hair! You can make a great impression by wearing it slightly tilted and undone, just add a thin, shiny string to complete the look.
43. Puffy Ponytail With Braided Cornrows and Safety Pins
An exquisite accessorized look can be created with a simple elastic band and a few big, shiny safety pins placed on small side braids.
44. Single Tight Hairstyle for Black Hair
Ready to brace yourself for summer? Opt for a single, basic braided ponytail and add a soft wavy contour with the help of a fine-toothed comb.
45. Coiled Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Twisted Braids
One really stylish option for your kinky curly hair is a semi-half-bun created by twisting every lock in two-stranded thin ropes. Keep it a bit messy for an edgy look.
46. Extra Long Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
Bring the hair into a high, tight ponytail. Use a thick strand to cover the elastic. Add soft, undone waves at the tips to create an extra shiny look.
47. Smooth Low Ponytail With Sleek Baby Hairs
This classic look is the perfect way of integrating baby hairs into your look. It has the advantage of keeping the hair from getting into your face throughout the day no matter the weather.
48. Vintage Style Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
This soft and smoothly twisted hairdo with a neatly combed crown and carefully hidden tips will give you a lovely retro vibe. You can obtain this classy and feminine hairstyle with only a few simple styling moves.
49. Half Bun With Curly Sides Hairstyle for Black Hair
This look is about to become your favorite day-to-day updo! It does a great job at uncovering your facial features and keeping the volume of the curls intact.
50. Janelle Monae’s Thick Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
This celebrity look is one worthy of replicating! It has a modern twist to a classic side braid and funky accessories.
51. Low Ponytail With Thin Box Braids and Hair Scarf
Bring a colorful note to your looks by adding a long, square scarf over your hair elastic.
52. Stick Straight Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Tight Wrapper
This is an easy and chic way of styling medium-length kinky hair! Use a velvet hair elastic to wrap your ponytail and a thin comb to create the side part.
53. Braided Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Shiny Sleek Top
This Rapunzel-style single braid has a very tight-fitting and sleek styled top that increases the natural shine of your hair.
54. Voluminous Crimped Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
If you prefer a puffy, voluminous ponytail, opt for this high crimped ponytail combined with a classic combed top.
55. Low Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Caffe Scrunchie
To add a little colorful accent to your long luscious brunette locks, use two scrunchies in matching colors. Coffe-colored scrunchies create a lovely contrast with dark hair.
56. Multiple Bubbles Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
Start by sectioning your hair into three different parts and creating two different bubble ponytails. Use dark-colored hair elastics so they blend into your natural hair color. Enjoy the subtle face-lift effect of this hairstyle!
57. Sleek Half-Up, Half-Down Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
To achieve this beautiful rich texture for your hair, make sure to keep it nourished. You will need a curling iron to contour these subtle waves. Pull all your hair up and secure the tall ponytail with a rubber band. Take a strand of hair and wrap it around the elastic to conceal it.
58. Rope Braided Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
Rope braids can be easily worn in a ponytail. For a stylish option, gather all your braids in a high ponytail. This can easily elevate any look.
59. High and Tight Ponytail With Waves
Use a shine serum first to tame every strand on the crown. Then create a strong base for your extra-long ponytail with a simple elastic.
60. Half-Up, Half-Down Ponytail With Laid Baby Hairs
This look suits those with a large forehead. Laying baby hairs around your hairline in a circular pattern will create the illusion of a fuller mane.
61. High Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Side Strands
These incredible shiny Rapunzel locks are fitted for a glamorous night out. You will reflect all the disco lights with your fabulous hairstyle. What a charming look!
62. Side Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Small Plaited Braids
Adding small plaited braids around the hairline will add a distinctive element to your look. These also create an interesting contrast on your crown area. One of the best things about this fun hairdo is that it brings attention to your magnetic eyes.
63. Knotted Extra Long Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
These super long locks are tightly wrapped and still maintain a sleek appearance. This shows how compressed the ponytail actually is.
64. Half-Up, Half-Down Hairstyle for Black Curly Hair
Make sure to hydrate the whole mane before starting to style this half-up, half-down look. Use a toothbrush or a thin comb to lay the baby’s hairs around the forehead.
65. Half-Up, Half-Down Wavy Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
Going for a super slicked-back hairstyle can create a feminine appearance. You are sure to flaunt an amazing voluminous mane with this 90’s inspired look.
66. Low Ponytail With Sparkling Headband and Rope Braided Top
One easy way to achieve an elongated look is to tightly wrap a large elastic headband around a ponytail at the base of your nape. Keep the rest of your hair free-flowing.
67. Voluminous Ponytail With Golden Hair Bands
If you want to add a precious but effortless accent to your locks, there is no easier way than using silvery or golden hair bands. These will create an incredible contrast with your dark locks.
68. Shiny Long Ponytail With Classy Waves
Lizzo’s hairstyles are always full of surprising elements. She manages to spice up even a classy tight high ponytail with undone, soft waves with a rhinestone embellished elastic band.
69. Rope Braids Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
This fantastic look beautifully combines cornrows and the rope braids hairstyle. The cute marble elastic band brings a cool 90’s vibe. Stunning!
70. Half-Up, Half-Down Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
These long, shiny sleek waves that cascade around your face are really charming and feminine. You can amplify the effect by setting the baby hairs around your hairline in smaller waves.
71. Office Style Low Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
Use a paddle brush to arrange the crown area as neatly as possible. Bring your hair in a low ponytail. Wear big statement earrings to complete the office look.
72. Party Style Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Twisted Braided Top
This fun and unique hairstyle has a very distinctive shape. This is thanks to the three thin slightly twisted sections on one side and the super voluminous, teased side ponytail. The combination of these elements creates a powerful impression.
73. High Ponytail With Voluminous Top and Laid Baby Hairs
This ultra-high ponytail requires a flat iron to keep the strands perfectly straight. You can play with the baby hairs around the forehead to create a stylish look.
74. Braided Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Yellow Rubber Bands
This look uses high chromatic contrast to create a stunning visual effect that will make you get noticed instantly. Use a loose hair strand to cover the ponytail.
75. Straight Ultra-Long Flowing Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
To pull off this hairstyle you need to be gifted with a thick mane or wear extensions. This hairdo can easily transition from casual to fancy, just add a few sparkling hair accessories.
76. Medium Curly Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women With Shell Necklaces
This exotic look draws inspiration from the island hairstyles. It is sure to keep your kinky curly hair in perfect condition. The up-swept ponytail brings a soft lifting effect to your face.
77. High Ponytail With Braided Top and Wavy Ends
The best way to accessorize your crown is to create small tight cornrows. Leave the ponytail falling naturally and cover the elastic band with a loose hair strand.
78. High Braided Ponytail With Sleek Top
One classic, simple braid can look impressive if you create perfectly symmetrical sections. Use a shine serum to sleek the top perfectly.
79. Mohawk Braid With Low Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
This stylish combination between a dragon braid and small thin cornrows on the sides creates the illusion of an elongated head. While the sparkling elastic band glams up the look.
80. Low Ponytail With Blue Headscarf
If you want to vamp up or simply add a cute detail to your everyday ponytail, opt for a classic headband with a big ribbon in your favorite color.
81. Wavy Dark Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
These thin, small curls are brought together in a high central ponytail. Leave your hair falling evenly around the crown to achieve a super feminine look.
82. Edgy Curly Ponytail Updo With Peach Pink Ribbon
This is the year of the fringe and bangs of all textures and lengths. Therefore, you can give it a try when wearing your kinky-curly mane in a ponytail.
83. Side Ponytail With Soft Curls and Wavy Side Pieces
Latina-inspired looks usually have wavy laid baby hairs. This hairstyle perfectly illustrates how to turn a simple ponytail into an exotic look.
84. Palm-Tree Shaped Ponytail for Box Braids
If you prefer high, structured hairstyles for your protective locks, this palm-tree-shaped ponytail can be an amazing choice. You only need two large elastic bands to hold the medium-length locks together.
85. Side Ponytails Hairstyle for Black Hair
This sleek hairstyle can be easily replicated. Start by sectioning your hair with a clear middle part. Tightly braid your hair starting at the base of your nape. Don’t forget to add thin braids to your crown for an elevated look.
86. Long Ponytail for Black Hair With Blonde Extension
This high ponytail has a synthetic golden blonde hair strand intertwined with the dark black locks, adding a precious note added to your hairstyle.
87. Braided Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
If you are lucky enough to find a talented loctician who can create a swirling pattern for your cornrows, you must try this hairstyle. Just bring your braids together in a high bun and you are set to impress.
88. Loose Low Ponytail With Floral Scrunchies
If you love floral prints, it is a lovely idea to use not one but two matching scrunchies for a low ponytail hairstyle. This will create a very delicate feminine look.
III. Unusual Ponytail Hairstyles
89. Ariana Grande Style Long Sleek Ponytail
Sometimes it is easier to create the impression of longer hair by adding a clip-in hair extension. Make sure to blend the strands with your natural hair. And don’t forget the signature eyeliner!
90. Exquisite Braided Curly Ponytail With Rolled Top
This masterpiece is an exceptional interpretation of the classic ponytail hairstyle. The puffy, curly tip and super sleek top look stunning together!
91. Shiny Straight Side Ponytail for Black Hair
You will need at least 6 elastic hair bands and a long layered haircut to create this side ponytail. It looks really amazing with a pair of retro sunglasses and hoop earrings. If you are looking for more inspiration make sure to check our list of layered hairstyles!
92. Half-Up, Half-Down Ponytail With Subtle Waves
If you are lucky to be born with a generous amount of hair, a half-up, half-down hairstyle is not only stylish but also really practical.
93. Thin Bubble Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
To achieve this look, use as little tension as possible to keep the hair bubbles small and delicate.
94. Teased High Ponytail With Falling Side Strands
For a cool combination between an elegant outfit and a simple hairstyle, you can always count on a messy, high ponytail. Add falling sideburns to amplify the effect.
95. Japanese Bridal Ponytail Hairstyle
This look is easy to adapt for black hair if you have a straight textured mane. Thanks to the messy styling, it will look even better on dark curly kinky hair.
96. Braided Ponytail With Pearl Pins
Floral pins or pearls can turn any medium-low hairstyle into a cute minimalistic bridal look that everyone will admire.
97. School-Girl Ponytail With Ribbon
If you want a quick updo, use a classic ribbon and tie it in an imperfect knot over the hair elastic. This detail brings a feminine touch to any hairdo. For more school vibe inspiration, go to our post with 100+ Easy Hairstyles For School.
98. Wavy Low Ponytail With Falling Side Strands
This hairstyle suits girls with long and luscious dark wavy hair who want an easy updo. The dark hues make the look extra feminine!
99. Short Messy Teased Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
A great, quick, and feminine updo almost always consists of a loose back ponytail. This allows teasing at the crown. Pull a couple of side strands for a more relaxed look.
100. High Ponytail With Hair Rings and Black Ribbon
Ariana Grande’s iconic hairstyles are super easy to replicate. If you have long and thick hair you can wear it in a sleek, shiny ponytail. Add a few modern hair accessories to complete the look.
101. Twisted Low Ponytail Hairstyle for Black Hair
Start by twisting the side hair and bringing it in a single ponytail. Secure it at the tip with a dark elastic band.
4 Tips for the Perfect Ponytail Hairstyle
The perfect ponytail can be obtained with only 4 steps and needs just a drop of your attention. Find out which are the steps that will bring you closer to perfection.
1) Brush your hair
You can’t start a hairstyle without brushing your hair, but what is the point of this gesture, practically? Brushing not only removes any knots in your hair, which could make your ponytail look unattractive, but also helps to distribute natural oils on all strands. Your hair will be brighter and more beautiful, giving you that glam ponytail look.
2) Grab the hair in a ponytail
Put your head down before you catch the tail. This secret will amplify the volume I talked about in the previous step.Also, make sure that the ponytail starts from somewhere halfway between the hairline and the nape of the neck, so that the final look is harmonious, youthful.
3) Smooth out rebellious threads
Use a gloss finish to put your hair in place. If you don’t have one, you can do it using your hands – this will work just as well.
4) Hairspray your hair
Are you ready! A splash of hairspray will ensure that your ponytail stays in place throughout the day. The hairstyle will last, no matter the conditions.
A Timeless Hairstyle
The ponytail is a simple but timeless easy hairstyle. It can be easily upgraded to a super elegant look with a few tweaks. These selected ponytail hairstyles for black women showcase the magical versatility of the pony hairstyle. Which is your favorite?